Finding a job in marine conservation isn’t easy. That why we created a unique internship for you that will help you to develop your skills and to gain more experience in the field. Our academic internship is ideal for a recent graduate who is interested in working together with our international research team while living on a tropical island in Indonesia.
We are looking for candidates that have expertise in one of the following fields:
- Coral Reef Rehabilitation
- Coral Killing Sponge
- Feeding Behavior of Moray Eel
- The Importance of Coral Reef as White Tip Reef Shark Habitat
- Your thesis topic from university
You will be a critical member of the team
During your internship you will be involved in various aspects of our shark and marine conservation research; from dropping the BRUV and taking identification pictures to analyzing data, community outreach and project development. We will help you wherever we can to provide you with an amazing experience in the marine conservation field.
We are a small, grassroots organization designed around conservation through citizen scientific research. We are all working very closely together and have a team/family-like atmosphere. There are 12 spots available in our research team and one of these spots is reserved for our Academic Intern. You will be a critical member of the team and will be assisting the Lead Marine Scientist to analyze the project’s data for possible publications and developing the scientific side of the project.
You can apply for the following periods:
All positions for 2019 are fulfilled. We will publish the dates for our academic internships in 2020 here and on our Facebook page in October 2019.
- A bachelor degree in Marine Biology or Marine Science
- Currently doing a thesis or have big passion for research
- Advanced Open Water certified or equivalent with 50 logged dives
- Have a research experience, even a small one (data collection – data analysis – report writing routine)
- Familiar with statistics and its related computer software (Minitab, SPSS)
- Familiar with tropical fish and coral species
- Willing to stay at least 4 weeks and maximum 8 weeks
What is included in your internship?
Our Academic Internship is not a job and you will not receive a salary for your contribution. The following things are included in your internship:
- PADI AWARE Shark Conservation Distinctive Specialty Course
- PADI Scientific Diver Distinctive Specialty Course
- You don’t have to pay for your dives, rental equipment or the use of a guide
- 10% discount on all dive courses (except the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course)
- Shared accommodation in a beautiful secret hidden getaway: Villa Nangka
- Program T’shirt
- Visa Support
Whats not included in your internship?
- A one time contribution of $750 USD which will be used to cover a part of your costs
- Indonesian VISA
- Your flight ticket
- In country transportation
- In country spending money
- Travel and / or dive insurance
- Fill in the application form below with a brief description on why you think you are the ideal candidate for our Academic Internship and when you would like to join our marine conservation project.
- Add “@gilisharkconservation.com” to your email safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Our program manager will review your application and you will receive a response within 3 working days. If we accept your application we will send you a short questionnaire to get to know you better.
If you have any questions or if you would like to have more information. Just send an email to email@example.com. We’re always happy to help!
Feel free to share and inspire others